Sunday, February 13, 2011

A rainy, wonderful week and a half.

Dia duit! I have to admit, I've been procrastinating on the posts, but let's just say I've been recovering all weekend. It's been an eventful week and a half starting with a traditional Céilí dancing night, a weekend trip to Dublin, a short day trip to Howth, Ireney's stay in Cork, ending with the kissing of the famous Blarney Stone. There is much to share, so bear with me!

Two Irish dancers performing a step ensemble...with brooms!
 Wednesday night was spent with friends partaking in a Irish Céilí, which is a traditional social gathering of dancing to Gaelic folk music. The beer, the music, and the liveliness of the dancers encouraged everyone to brave the dance floor. Thankfully the Céilí instructor was patient with us, because there were many times I'd find myself set dancing with a complete stranger who had no idea how to lead me (and I concurrently not knowing how to follow). It was all in good fun, though, and I felt like I could really utilize the steps I learned from my Irish Step dancing class in a traditional setting.

That weekend I headed to Dublin with Kasey to meet up with Ireney and her friends from Rome, who stayed in a hostel not far from my friend Nicole's pad in the area of Dublin 2. I felt that my number one priority was to take Ireney and her friends to the Guinness factory to try their first Guinness in Ireland and I can proudly say that I got Irene hooked (it really wasn't that hard!) Then we headed to the renowned Trinity campus to see The Book of Kells and the Old Library, which were both breathtaking. To see the four Gospels in manuscript form dating back to the sixth century still intact to this day was pretty impressive, not to mention the painstaking calligraphy and drawings of the Celtic monks. I understand now why it's regarded as "Ireland's finest national treasure."  After dinner, we hopped around a couple of pubs in downtown Dublin called "The Bloody Horse" and "The Porter House" and had what can only be deemed an epic night. Let's just say it involved a group of British lads, scintillating conversation about the historical dispute between Ireland and Britain, a live Irish band, and a 170 euro bar tab (which they happily paid...score!) The next day I said a brief goodbye to Ireney and got on a bus from Dublin to Howth with my friends from EAP orientation. Howth is a small fishing village in Fingal county near the big city, known for its seafood and farmers market. After drooling over the homemade shepherd's pie and Irish cheeses, we went to a local seafood restaurant. It was a wonderful way to end my visit in Dublin and get away from the imposing buildings of the city.


First taste!
Chatting it up with Seamus, possessor of quite possibly the world's best job (I kept calling him Mr. Finnigan haha)

Walking the rainy streets of Dublin with my dearest
The coolest cow bike I ever saw!
Live band at The Porter House on Temple Bar

Picturesque village of Howth

 After a packed weekend, I came back to school (what is this entity you call school?) for Monday and then Irene arrived in Cork by bus Tuesday night. After situating her in my apartment, I took her to my favorite pub, The Corner House, where I introduced her to two heavenly staples of my life: Beamish stout and live Irish traditional music. The next day was spent touring my campus and I even forced Irene to attend one of my Literature classes (to my surprise, my little Art History major thought it was pretty interesting and even learned a bit about Irish history!) We then had a night out on the town with some of my flatmates and good friends across the hall at good ol' An Brog, a pub that has become our standard destination for all-night dancing. After waking up the next day a little begrudgingly, we treated ourselves to a full Irish breakfast and took a bus from Cork to Blarney to kiss the renowned Blarney Stone! Like Irene, I can't say that I've attained "the gift of gab," but it was exciting to climb up the narrow steps of the castle and view the Irish landscape from such a high distance.


In celebration of Dan's 21st: pumpkin spice cupcakes and creamy, Beamish stout...mmm!
My French roommates; Florin and Toumtam
My main quad area
The crest of UCC; apparently if you walk over it, you'll become pregnant and fail all your exams
Irene, Kasey, Rebecca, random Irish dude, JQ, and I at our favorite dancing spot, An Brog

The full Irish breakfast experience: Potato wedges ("chips"), poached egg, beans, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, and white & black pudding (congealed blood)

Kissing the Blarney Stone!
The beautiful Blarney gardens

I was so sad to see Irene go the next day, but we left with sentiments of excitement for my visit to Rome in mid-April and our life in Florence for the summer. It was so comforting to see a familiar face and to share my lifestyle here in Cork with her, and only made me more thrilled for traveling outside of Ireland. Needless to say, after a busy week and a half, this weekend was spent holed up in my room not spending money, catching up on reading, sleeping, and starting an essay. I find it hilarious that after almost two months of being here, as an English major, I'm just starting to write my first essay due Friday. What can I say? You've gotta love the Irish education system :)




























No comments:

Post a Comment