Friday, April 15, 2011

Paris, mais oui!

Bonjour, et je suis désolée pour le retard! I was browsing my blog and realized I haven't posted for almost a month now. I think it is due time to relate to you my whirlwind of traveling adventures I have experienced for the past two weeks. I'll start with Paris, my favorite metropolis in Europe I have seen thus far :)

In traveling to Paris, I really had no idea how the trip would pan out. I had arranged this excursion with two of my friends in my EAP program a while back, and I hadn't seen them since the start of my program around three months ago. So I would essentially be traveling around with two girls I barely knew in a foreign city where I had the equivalent of probably a toddler's knowledge of the language. Turns out this was the best decision I ever made, because Courtney had already been to Paris and knew how to use le métro quite well, which made for seamless and stress-free planning (well, relatively speaking.)

The first day was spent roaming around the streets of Paris, visiting the Louvre, as well as Notre Dame cathedral. The Louvre was quite daunting, because there were so many genres and works of art that I couldn't be seen in just one day. I remember walking around and wishing I had someone like Irene with me, who as an Art History major could tell me their significance. Notre Dame cathedral was beautiful, and we happened to walk in as mass was in session, so that was quite an experience. The surrounding gardens were in full bloom, and you could see many couples strolling through the park hand in hand, or sitting under cherry blossom trees together. The stories are true...Paris has to be the most romantic city in the world (sigh). I hope that one day when I'm in a long-term relationship, I can come back to this city and experience all of these little romantic nuances.

The view from outside the window of our hostel: a Parisian l'école

My first taste of cuisine française began with goat cheese and bacon tartines

Outside of the Louvre

The renowned woman(?) herself

La Venus de Milo
My favorite relic from the museum: a leaflet from the ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead scrolls. So cool!

In le jardin de Notre Dame
The second day was even more jam-packed. We woke up early and toured the Palais de Versailles and le Jardin Royal, walked around the base of la Tour Eiffel, and later that night we walked by le Moulin Rouge and had drinks at the famous Chat Noir bar in downtown Paris. We sat right up front by the musician/singer and I think he knew we were American because he played some classics that had us belting out the lyrics and dancing...it was a great night!
The gates of the Palace of Versailles
The Queen's luxurious bed chamber

The Royal Gardens (did Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette really need this much land?)

Just another sunny day in Paris


We felt so français with our wine and crème brûlée!
The last day we decided to take an elevator to the top of la Tour Eiffel (as all tourists do), go to the top of l'Arc de Triomphe (which I had no idea you could do), and end the evening by climbing up to the little tucked-away city of Montmartre at the top of Paris.

From the top of the Eiffel Tower

L'Arc de Triomphe

I didn't edit the coloring in this picture, there was literally a beautiful blue tinge to the night when overlooking Paris from Montmartre hill. This was probably my favorite place in Paris.

For many years I've learned all about this famous dish in French class, and I was finally able to try un steak-frites in the country! Deeeelish.
Overall, it was wonderful to be back in France again and view the country with older and perhaps, wiser eyes. I don't consider myself a big-city kind of girl, but I must admit that Paris whisked me away with its beautiful and intriguing people, its history, and culinary culture. At night it was a spectacle to merely people watch the girls with their cigarettes, chic coats, and short dresses speaking French at rapid pace getting onto the metro for a night out. I thought that as an American, being in Paris would mean furtive stares and attitude from Parisians, who are known to be the most judgmental of Americans in France. Surprisingly, every Parisian I communicated with was so nice and encouraged me to practice my French (which I'm sure sounded atrocious to them). That is the main thing I loved about being in France...being able to use the little French I've learned in high school and college. Even by the third day, I felt that my pronunciation had improved from hearing French being spoken around me for three whole days...I loved it! Even though I'm so happy I chose Ireland as my travel-abroad destination, I think that if I could go back in time I should have looked into language immersion somewhere in France. Alas, I'm just glad I could could go to the heart of France and indulge myself in a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment