Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Glad to be dancing again :)

Classes are starting to pick up, and I'm now at a point where I have to face the facts: taking all upper-division English classes means tons of drama, fiction, and poetry reading. I felt like I was coasting the first couple of weeks, but now I have a barrage of reading to do. I'm really enjoying my first foray into Irish literature with James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man set in the 1920's. It's a really dark piece on an artist struggling to embody aestheticism within a strict Catholic Dublin. Interestingly, it's having the effect of making me abhor organized religion even more than I did previously because Joyce has this brilliant method of taking Catholic symbolism and utilizing it to transgress the religion itself.

I'm also loving my traditional Irish Step Dancing class. I had my first lesson yesterday, and was completely surprised by how it went. Due to scheduling conflicts I couldn't make the previous week's so I went into it figuring I'd be lost. This first twenty minutes was initially spent figuring out the style of the dance, which is nothing like tap. Instead of having your feet point out (first position, ballet-esque), Irish step dancers work within a third/fourth-position stance and point their toes whenever they leap up. It really is much more beautiful and streamlined than tap in my opinion, and much much harder. I have this wonderful old lady as a teacher, who is kind but expects fast learning, even from beginner dancers. I was thoroughly surprised and delighted when we learned a new dance called "Hornpipe Din Moores Drumming Step," which is supposed to be pretty difficult. Thankfully, I was able to learn it from the beginning (unlike the other dances that were taught in the previous class, in which I looked like an idiot trying to attempt) and got it within the first two run-throughs. After the dance, she addressed me in front of the class and said that I must be a dancer because I was pointing my toes at all times and had my arms out. I found that a little hilarious because I was trying so hard to look like I knew the form of an Irish stepper and somehow it worked! I absolutely love this type of dance and think I will continue to take lessons even when I'm back in Santa Barbara (let's hope they have the style of dance there). I'm so happy to be dancing again.

Yesterday I also had my first rock-climbing experience! And let me tell you, so much harder than it looks. Thankfully, an Irish leader of the Mountaineering Club saw my pathetic attempts and lack of know-how and gave me a crash course. I learned briefly how to belay and he gave me lots of tips on the strategy of climbing, which I'm still grasping. It was so much fun, though, and a really great social sport so I can't wait to go back and get some more climbing experience. Also, I realized how weak my wrists and arms are...they've been killing me all day!

I'm also excited to report that Ireney will be visiting me the second week in February :) I'm calling shenanigans!

2 comments:

  1. The dancing sounds really fun (even though I am flabbergasted by half of the terms you used :p)! And your classes sound interesting though difficult. In response to your last blog: I am SO jealous of your campus, it really does look like Hogwarts! Livin' the dream my friend.
    I almost died when I read that comment about adidas vs. nike hahah
    I'm glad you are settling into the culture more my dear, I can't wait to visit in a couple of weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! My sisters, mom, Andrea, and Kyle are fans of your blog. I told them to post comments as to keep the creative juices of the author going! It's the nature of a writer; feedback = motivation.

    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete